Gocco Christmas cards

Well, given Christmas is only a few weeks away I thought it was about time to organise some festive cards!  

I decided to use my Gocco printer to create the cards as I certainly need the practise with it!  A Gocco printer is a Japanese mini screen printing system, perfect for printing cards and small images.  It's a very nifty bit of kit, where you use the one machine to expose the screens and print the image.  I got my Gocco printer last year and must admit I've struggled to get suitable results - but these cards have worked out OK I think..... 
I hand drew my images (using the special Gocco carbon pen) and like any screen print you need to create seperate images, for seperate colours. 
You then need to expose the images onto the mini screens - this is done using flash bulbs as seen above.
Here are the images exposed onto the seperate screens (the paper artwork is still behind the screen)
Then I printed my first image - you can create lots of prints so I made sure I cut and folded all of my cards beforehand.  I liked the idea of having different coloured cards, so I used a mix of colours and I also trialled different paper stock (some smooth, some textured etc).

Then I printed the second image over the top to create the final image.  Voila!  My hand screen printed Christmas cards! 
I'm really no expert on Gocco printing and I'm still learning with trial by error!!  There is lots of information about Gocco printing on the internet - and I've included some of my favourite links below;
And lastly one of my favourite Gocco artists - Bridget Farmer.  Bridget has a fantastic Gocco print tutorial on her old blog, with a very easy step-by-step process and pictures for each step. 

2 comments:

  1. that design could have been accomplished using one screen. just use the color blocking foam sheets! :)Especially now with supplies becomming scarce and expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that's a handy tip - thank you!! I've noticed supplies have got more expensive - so the use of foam blocking to separate the colours will be good to know for my next set of designs
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete