Portraits....landscapes....life drawing....and more.....


Little Mr J turned two last week, and I received a surprise birthday card featuring a portrait of him that my dad had painted.  The watercolour portrait is only small being on a birthday card, but it captures him (and his best friend, the Jolly cat) perfectly.
 
I've never really painted portraits, so I'm always in awe of people who can do this as I think it has to be one of the hardest things to paint.        
 
My dad has been updating his blog with recent paintings from his home in Ireland, work from a few years ago whilst living in Southern France and prior to that England, as well as sketches and paintings from his sketchbook.  The two paintings below are recent oils depicting moody skies and iridescent landscapes in Ireland.       
The scene below is a watercolour landscape of Ireland, and lastly a painting of Norfolk taken from his sketchbook. 
Recently my dad has also started some still life classes, painting nudes.  You can see more of his figure studies here and here.     
I have recently had the opportunity to paint the female figure for only the third time since leaving art-college, more years ago than I prefer to remember. Painting the human figure presents unique challanges very differnt to landscape or still life. It is, I believe, all in the drawing, getting the balance, form and proportions right. There are no straight lines, no definite angles or corners to take measurments from, coordination of eye and hand are paramount.
 And lastly here is a video featuring some of his current work.  Enjoy!   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment